Tom confirmed as full member of the YHOA regional junior squad
AIRE juniors are proud to announce that Tom M16 is now a full member of the YHOA regional junior squad along with Emily and Jake.
He has shown excellent progress in his recent races at the Northern Championships and British Middle distance championships as well as the Yvette Baker Trophy heat and final.
Tom is really enjoying his orienteering at the moment and so I asked him to tell us a bit about himself... (click Read more)
- How long have you been orienteering and how did you start? I have been orienteering for 4 years. I started when I was in year 6 as my primary school entered a few local events which my grandad encouraged me to attend.
- What makes you excited about orienteering? I love the way that orienteering involves having to use your brain as well as running. I also enjoy the feeling that I get running through fells or woods by myself.
- Which event has been most challenging and why? The most challenging event so far was definitely the British Middle Distance Championships in the Lake District early last month. The forest contained a lot of features, making it difficult to find the exact location of the control and it was steep and full of obstacles which made running fast tricky.
- What other sports do you do? I do a few other sports, playing hockey for West Yorkshire, golf for Ilkley and tennis for my school.
- What do you do to chill out when not doing homework or sport? In the little time I have to relax, I like to play snooker and chess with my dad or play the violin.
- What is your favourite food? I like a lot of food so it is hard to choose but I would say that my favourite is pasta with pesto and peas.
Thanks Tom – Congratulations on your selection to the regional junior squad!
Lindsey King - Coach